The Irish have played a significant part in the history of Queensland since they first started arriving in the late 18th Century.
We have had an effect on everything from the local architecture to the famed local beer. Here are just some of the Irish men and women who have had a huge influence on life in Queensland.
Opened Castlemaine Brewery and created XXXX beer
Galway-born Edward Fitzgerald came from a brewing family who owned a distillery at Nun’s Island in Galway.
Edward emigrated to Australia during the Victorian gold rush, in 1854, and he opened a brewery in the gold field town of Castlemaine, Victoria two years later, in 1856.
He decided to expand operations to Queensland, where he was joined in business by his brother Nicholas, a former law student at Trinity College who had migrated to Australia in 1859. They purchased the site of a failing distillery on Milton Road and together they started producing Castlemaine XXX Sparkling Ale in Brisbane in 1878.
The name came from X symbols which were used on beer barrels to distinguish strong beers from lighter ales.
Edward Fitzgerald died in 1896. Nicholas went on to become a prominent politician in Victoria, where he died in 1908.
Architect who invented the Queenslander style of architecture
Born in Donegal in 1834, Richard Gailey moved to Queensland in 1864 and became an influential architect in colonial-era Brisbane.
He would add finely detailed arches and wide verandahs to his buildings to shield them from the effects of the midday sun. As a cost-effective alternative to arches, he would use wrought-iron filigree lacework on verandahs, which came to be known as Queenslander architecture.
A prolific worker, you’ll find examples of Richard Gailey’s work still surviving all over Brisbane, including Tara House, Brisbane Girls’ Grammar School, Wickham Hotel, Regatta Hotel and Jubilee Hotel.
Richard Gailey died in 1924 and is buried at Cleveland Cemetery.
Patrick ‘Patsy’ Durack
Patrick Durack was born in Scarriff, County Clare, in 1874 the eldest son of eight
children. His family emigrated to New South in 1853 in the hope of a better life but tragedy struck when Durack’s father was accidentally killed only weeks after their arrival, leaving the young man to support his large family.
Durack worked hard and within two years purchased
a small holding near Goulburn, where he continued to build
By the early 1860s, south-west Queensland was opening up and in 1868, Durack established Thylungra and Kyabra stations on a tributary of Cooper’s Creek. He pegged out claims across 17,000 square miles, stocked and then sold them to friends and new settlers.
Profits paid for other ventures – a butchery at Roma, holdings at Thargomindah, Adavale and Windorah, and hotels to service the influx of opal miners and Cobb & Co. services. By the close of the 1870s, Durack was a wealthy man with substantial business interests in both New South Wales and western Queensland.
He died at Fremantle in 1898 and was reinterred in 1901 beside his wife in the pioneer cemetery at Goulburn.
Sister Elizabeth Kenny
Nurse who invented a new way of treating polio and saved many children’s lives
Elizabeth Kenny (1880-1952), was a self-taught bush nurse and daughter of Michael Kenny, a farmer from Ireland, and his wife Mary Moore.
In 1910 Kenny was working as a nurse from the family home at Nobby on the Darling Downs, riding on horseback to give her services, without pay, to any who called her. In 1911 she used hot compressions and passive movements to treat symptomatically puzzling new cases, diagnosed as infantile paralysis (poliomyelitis). The patients recovered. Kenny then opened a cottage hospital at Clifton.
During World War I, she was appointed staff nurse in the Australian Army Nursing Service.
Her controversial method for treating Polio patients, which she promoted internationally while working in Australia, Europe and the United States, differed from the then conventional medical practice which called for placing affected limbs in plaster casts. Sister Kenny’s principles of muscle rehabilitation became the foundation physiotherapy.
Sister Kenny was buried beside her mother in Nobby Cemetery. You can visit the Sister Kenny Memorial House in Nobby, Clifton, Queensland to find out more.